Are you a die-hard Snoopy fan? If so, you’ll love this DIY project that will bring a touch of whimsy to your home. Inspired by my love for all things Snoopy, I decided to create a miniature doghouse using nothing but cardboard boxes. Not only is it a fun and creative project, but it’s also a great way to repurpose materials you may already have on hand.
Unleash Your Creativity
The top of my credenza was adorned with an array of beloved Snoopy items, but it felt incomplete without Snoopy’s iconic doghouse. I wanted something that would fit perfectly on the credenza and wouldn’t break the bank. That’s when I realized that cardboard was the way to go. I had several small boxes from previous Amazon deliveries, and they were just begging to be transformed into Snoopy’s doghouse.
To get started, I used two different-sized boxes for this project. The first box, a perfect square, became the base of the doghouse. The second box had wider sections that were ideal for creating the roof peak. Instead of struggling to remove the heavy tape from the outside of the boxes, I cleverly decided to use the inside of the boxes for the exterior of the doghouse.
Tools of the Trade
For this project, you’ll need a few supplies: two cardboard boxes, an X-Acto knife or blade, a ruler, red spray paint, a black Sharpie marker, packaging tape, and hot glue. With these items in hand, you’re ready to embark on your creative journey.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Begin by opening up the smaller square box and removing the flaps, except for the longer flap on one end. These smaller flaps will be used to create the roof pitch.
- Lay the box flat and use a ruler to find the center point of the shorter flap. Mark this point and draw a triangle roof pitch using a pencil or an X-Acto knife.
- Spray paint the cardboard box with a vibrant red color. It may take a few coats to achieve full coverage.
- To mimic the appearance of wooden boards on Snoopy’s doghouse, measure equal spaced sections across all the pieces of cardboard. Use a black Sharpie marker to draw the lines.
- For the door, use a small bowl to trace the rounded top and a ruler to draw the straight lines. Fill it in with the black Sharpie marker or black acrylic paint.
A Practical and Adorable Design
One thing I considered while creating this delightful Snoopy doghouse was the need for easy storage after the holiday season. I wanted it to fold up like a box, making it compact and hassle-free to store. To achieve this, I used packaging tape instead of hot glue to hold the sides of the box together. This ensured that the doghouse could be collapsed when not on display, while still retaining its sturdy shape during use.
A Fond Keepsake
Now you can proudly showcase your handmade Snoopy doghouse as part of your holiday decor. When the festivities come to an end, simply fold it up and store it away until the next year. This charming creation will surely bring a smile to your face and add a touch of nostalgia to your Christmas decorations for years to come.
Remember, “A merry heart does good like medicine.” – Proverbs 17:22